Back End Software Engineer (Ruby/Linux) – Tygervalley
Our backend software engineers make sure that when a customer hits a button in a Web application, magic happens on hosting infrastructure in a data centre somewhere in the world.
This role involves engaging with a remote development team (in Vancouver, Canada) and will require a commitment to time shifting a few days of the week in order to facilitate ease of communication.
- Solving interesting and large scale backend technical challenges
- Being part of figuring out how we get better at what we do
- Looking for opportunities to innovate and optimize
- Understanding the needs of the customer in order to deliver innovative, robust solutions (In collaboration with the Product Owner and stakeholders of course)
- Supporting the customer from an operational perspective when escalated by the Client Services team
You probably have a passion for:
- Programming, open-source Technologies and IT in general
- Optimal systems and simple procedures
- Agile development and a self-organizing team environment
- Sharing ideas and innovation
- Design & development of backend software and APIs
- Object-oriented programming using a language like Ruby
- Software development within the Linux/Unix environment
- Software development using a containerization platform like Docker or Kubernetes
- Agile development practices (team focus, continual improvement, automated tests, refactoring, continuous integration, pair programming)
- Effective communication
- Self-motivation and self-management
Your qualifications include:
- BSc majoring in Computer Science will be advantageous, however, your ability to demonstrate your track record of writing quality backend software is what ultimately counts.
- A minimum of 4+ years of software development experience
If your experience includes the following, it would be great:
- Thinking like a hacker and diving into the security details of the software you’ve built
- Experience with Rancher, Docker Swarm or other container orchestration platforms
- Understanding of database design and performance tuning (MySQL, Redis, etc.)
Salary to be discussed during process.
Only SA citizens based in Cape Town need apply.