A Payment Service Provider seeks an experienced Database Administrator to join their team. The SQL Server DBA will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems that house all transactional data in a real-time processing environment. You will need to ensure the availability and consistent performance of all corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ensure database servers are backed up according to business’s Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Test backups to ensure we can meet the business’ Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
- Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Configure SQL Server monitoring utilities to minimize false alarms
- As new systems are brought in-house, choose whether to use clustering, log shipping, mirroring, Windows Azure, or other technologies
- Install and configure new SQL Servers
- Deploy database change scripts provided by third party vendors
- DB Performance optimization (recommend hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes)
- Document the company’s database environment
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Provide 24×7 support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
- Present your finalized ideas and concepts to management and team members
- Relevant Tertiary qualification (N.Dip or Degree)
- 5+ years MS SQL Server Administration
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications an advantage
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams Education & Qualification
SALARY AND OTHER INFORMATION:
R30 000 – R50 000 per month depending on experience
Only SA citizens based in Cape Town need apply.